Basanta Kumar Rana
Dr. Basanta Kumar Rana has completed his Ph.D. from IIT Kharagpur (2018) in the Department of Mechanical Engineering in the specialization of Thermal Science Engineering and also completed his M.Tech. from IIT Guwahati (2013) in the specialization of Fluids and Thermal Science Engineering. He is having more than two years of teaching experience and more than five years of research experience. He has already taught Engineering Mechanics, Engineering Thermodynamics, Thermodynamics and Hydraulics, Fluid Mechanics, Internal Combustion Engine and Gas Turbine courses to UG students. He is having 8 internal journals and more than 10 conferences papers. His broad area of research is Computational Fluid Dynamics, Two phase flow, Gas-liquid and liquid-liquid flow, heat transfer, Natural and mixed convection flow heat transfer, Interface tracking (VOF method).
Google Scholar :
PhD (IIT Kharagpur)
Computational Fluid Dynamics, Two phase flow, Gas-liquid and liquid-liquid flow, Bubble and drop dynamics, Interfacial dynamics, Heat Transfer, Natural and Mixed Convection Flows
Title of Project: Enhancement of mixing and entrainment in two layer shear flow by employing rotary rollers. Sponsoring Agency: SERB, Govt. of India Amount of Grant in Lakhs (Rs.): 16.70 Role: Principal Investigator
Tutor - Mentoring
(1) B. K. Rana, A. K. Das, and P. K. Das. (2015). Mechanism of Bursting Taylor Bubbles at Free Surfaces. Langmuir, 31(36), 9870-9881.
(2) B. K. Rana, A. K. Das, and P. K. Das. (2016). Asymmetric bursting of Taylor bubble in inclined tubes. Physics of Fluids, 28(8), 082106.
(3) B. K. Rana, A. K. Das, and P. K. Das. (2016). Numerical study of air entrainment and liquid film wrapping around a rotating cylinder. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 55(46), 11950-11960.
(4) B. K. Rana, A. K. Das, and P. K. Das. (2017). Towards the understanding of bubble-bubble interaction upon formation at submerged orifices: A numerical approach. Chemical Engineering Science, 161, 316-328.
(5) B. K. Rana, A. K. Das, and P. K. Das. (2017). Study of interaction pattern between bubbles at three inline orifices in a submerged pool. Chemical Engineering Science, 168, 41-54.
(6) B. K. Rana, A. K. Das, and P. K. Das. (2016). Collapse of a Taylor bubble at free surface. Multiphase Science and Technology, 28(2), 173-191.
(7) Y. Sharma, B. K. Rana, and A. K. Das. (2015). Rotary Entrainment in Two Phase Stratified Gas-Liquid Layers: An Experimental Study. World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, International Journal of Chemical, Molecular, Nuclear, Materials and Metallurgical Engineering, 9(12), 1289-1294.
(8) Y. Sharma, P. Kumar, B. K. Rana, A. K. Das. (2016). Rotary Entrainment in Stratified Gas-Liquid Layers: An Experimental Study. Proceedings of the Indian National Science Academy, 82, 1-9.
(1) Rana, B. K., Dalal, A., and Biswas, G., 2013, “Flow and Heat Transfer from the Annular Fin Heat Exchanger Using Winglet Type Vortex Generators”, Paper No: HT2013-17706, ASME Summer Heat Transfer Conference, Minneapolis, MN, USA.
(2) Rana, B. K., Dalal, A., and Biswas, G., 2013, “Effects of Different Configurations on Heat Transfer From the Annular Fin-tube Heat Exchanger Using Vortex Generators”, Paper No: HMTC1300284, 22nd National and 11th International ISHMT-ASME Heat and Mass Transfer Conference, IIT Kharagpur, India.
(3) B. K. Rana, L. S. Paikara, A. K. Das, and P. K. Das, 2014, “Collapse of a Taylor Bubble at Free Surface: an Experimental Investigation”, Paper No: 88, 5th International and 41st National Conference on Fluid Mechanics and Fluid Power, IIT Kanpur, India.
(4) Misra, S., Rana, B. K., Das, A. K., and Das, P. K., 2014, “Bubble dynamics in pipe fittings: a numerical study”, Paper No: 162, 5th International and 41st National Conference on Fluid Mechanics and Fluid Power, IIT Kanpur, India.
(5) Das, A. K., Rana, B. K., and Das, P. K., 2014, “Collapse of a taylor bubble at free surface: an experimental investigation”, 10th Pacific Symposium on Flow Visualization and Image Processing, Naples, Italy, 15-18 June, 2015.
(6) Basanta Kumar Rana, Arup Kumar Das and Prasanta Kumar Das, 2015 "Numerical investigation of a Taylor bubble collapse at free surface in the vertical channel" Paper No: 61, 42nd National Conference on Fluid Mechanics and Fluid Power, NITK Surathkal, India.
(7) Basanta Kumar Rana, Arup Kumar Das and Prasanta Kumar Das, 2015 "Taylor Bubble Collapse at Free Surface in the Inclined Channel: A Numerical Investigation" Abstract ID :FM-044, 68th Annual session Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers Chemcon2015, IIT Guwahati, India.
(8) Rana B. K., Das A. K., Das P. K., "Liquid-liquid entrainment and film wrapping around a rotating cylinder in stratified layer", International Conference on